Hello, neighbors! It’s Wednesday at Oceanside-Camp Pendleton and I’m back in your inbox with everything good to print on what’s happening in the community today.
First, today’s weather forecast:
Clouds, then sun. High: 77 Low: 62.
Find out what our local sponsor can do for you:
Are you ready to give your kitchen or bathroom a new look? Dawn Leeser, owner of Freedom Flooring & Interiors, will remodel your space with quality Masterbrand cabinetry while using the latest tiles, flooring, countertops and hardware available. Call Dawn for a free design and estimate – residential, commercial, contractors and investors are all welcome. Contact Dawn at 760-607-2650, or visit Freedom Flooring & Interiors to learn more.
Want to see your business featured in this spot? Click here to start.
Here are today’s top five stories at Oceanside-Camp Pendleton:
- The Oceanside International Film Festival hosted the premiere of advanced screening of the hit show Animal Kingdom last week at the Star Theatre. In this exclusive interviewThe Patch sat down with “Animal Kingdom” actors Shawn Hatosy and Jasper Polish to talk about the show’s final season and filming in Oceanside. (Oceanside-Camp Pendleton Patch)
- The former Marty’s Valley Inn on Mission Ave. at Oceanside has received city approval to operate as a “single occupancy” hotel., a form of affordable housing for low-income people. “It’s an ideal location for this project,” Oceanside Planning Commissioner Louise Balma said Monday before the commission voted 4-0 to approve a conditional use permit for the facility. Vista Group Inc. purchased the property in 2020 and uses the building to provide temporary housing for the homeless through the city’s motel voucher program. (The San Diego Union-Tribune)
- Oceanside-based clothing company Brixton is collaborating with Willie Nelson on a new fashion collection. A nod to 1970s Americana and Brixton’s own roots, the new collection combines heritage styling with country-inspired silhouettes with distressed washes and vintage western details that lend authenticity to every look. room. The line includes cut and sew apparel, graphic tees, headwear and more, all inscribed with the headlining moniker of one of country music’s most iconic stars. (Shop-Eat-Surf.com)
- The San Diego County Board of Supervisors on Tuesday unanimously approved a $7.35 billion budget for the 2022-23 fiscal year., including $200 million in additional funding requests. Part of the increase will go towards hiring more county employees, wildfire reduction efforts and parks or community center projects. Board Chairman Nathan Fletcher said the budgets are not just buckets of money, but “a reflection of values,” which include better public safety and behavioral health services, sustainability and more affordable housing. (San Diego crest)
- Mysterious lights off the coast of San Diego lit up social media Monday night. According to the SDPD, rescuers say they were military flares, but Camp Pendleton and NAS North Island say they have no idea what the lights were. They have been seen along the coast from Chula Vista to Encinitas. (CBS News 8)
Help us improve this newsletter!
We’ve received so many positive comments on the Oceanside-Camp Pendleton Daily that we’re starting to get a big head. Want to bring us back to earth with constructive feedback? If so, take our simple – and fast! — reader survey. Your feedback will help us make sure we’re covering the kind of local news, events and gossip that really matters to you. And it will help us achieve our goal of being an indispensable local resource and the last email you unsubscribe from.
We would appreciate your feedback so much that if you complete the survey, we will enter your email address in a drawing for a little patch swag mountain. You know you want this tote bag – so click the link and give it to us direct. Thanks!
Take the survey 👉
Today at Oceanside-Camp Pendleton:
- Project Wounded Warrior – North County Veterans Association (5 p.m.)
- Special Board Meeting (Budget Adoption) (Events) (6:00 p.m.)
From my notebook:
- City of Oceanside – Government: “The City of Oceanside Parks & Recreation will host an incredible fireworks display on Sunday, July 3 at the SoCal Soccer Complex in El Corazon to celebrate Oceanside’s 134th anniversary and Independence Day celebration.” (Town of Oceanside – Government via Facebook)
- City of Oceanside Parks and Recreation: “Oceanside Senior Centers are open as designated cooling zones this summer during our hours of operation. This is a free, air-conditioned setting for seniors, people with disabilities, or anyone seeking to escape the heat.” (Oceanside City Parks and Recreation via Facebook)
- Oceanside City Public Library: “Lunch at the Library is back! Free lunch is offered to children ages 0-18 at the Civic Center Library from 11:00-11:45 a.m. weekdays this summer.” (Oceanside City Public Library via Facebook)
- Camp Pendleton Armed Services YMCA: “Thank you to the Magdalena Ecke YMCA for offering a week of summer camp where campers will go to Dave & Busters, the Safari Park, and have the chance to participate in many other fun activities with vendors! Camp Dates from 5 July to July 8 8 a.m. – 3:45 p.m. (Camp Pendleton Armed Services YMCA via Facebook)
- MCCS Camp Pendleton – Libraries: “Start your summer with a reading adventure! Read beyond the box with the DoD MWR Libraries Summer Reading Program presented by United Through Reading” (MCCS Camp Pendleton – Libraries via Facebook)
- Oceanside Chamber of Commerce: “Did you know that SDG&E offers free energy education and training webinars? These on-demand webinars are offered at the introductory, intermediate, and advanced levels. See the list of webinars at sdge.com/EnergyClasses# sdge #SDGEassist” (Oceanside Chamber of Commerce via Facebook)
More from our sponsors – please support the local news!
- Oceanside Adventures – Daily Year-Round Whale and Dolphin Excursions — (Visit Website)
- Institute of Healthcare – Become an EMT in just 4-8 weeks — (Visit website)
Pelican ruffling its feathers: the photo of the day by the ocean
- Free Money to Buy Your Home: Free Educational Homebuying Webinar (June 29)
- Ska-Fourth Of July with a third project at Boiling Brew Works & Live Music (July 2)
- Sugar Bear Memorial Virtual Race (July 22)
- Add your event
Concerts and Services:
Thanks for following and staying informed! I’ll be back in your inbox tomorrow morning with another update.
— Lisa Frost
About me: I’m the community editor for the Oceanside-Camp Pendleton patch and love sharing all things Oceanside. It’s a privilege to help locals and those who visit our amazing and diverse city stay informed about the local news, people and stories that shape our community. Explore all that Patch has to offer Oceansider:
Questions? Concerns? Comments? You have my full attention at [email protected]
Got a news tip or suggestion for an upcoming Oceanside-Camp Pendleton Daily? Contact me at [email protected]